Careless smoking kills 3 and orphans girl, 9, in Brampton

It’s a generation since many families were hardly aware that people smoked any more, but the Ontario Fire Marshall says it was careless smoking that killed three on Valentine’s Day and left a 9-year-old girl orphaned. It happened at 76 Madison Street in Brampton at 4 a.m. on February 14. A married couple and their daughter, 19, all died in back bedrooms as flames tore through the house. A roomer living in the basement was able to scoop up Zoya Kapadia and carry her outside. She suffered serous burns. Rick Derstroff, supervisor of fire investigations with the Ontario Fire Marshal, said there were no functioning smoke alarms in the area of the duplex where the family was found.

Leave a Reply