South Bayview Bulldog Admin

Christopher Peloso found dead, police say

Christopher Peloso has been found dead. Mr. Peloso was the husband of George Smitherman. Police said this morning they have found the body but had no other comment.  An announcement was made on Twitter by Mr. Smitherman. He said “We will celebrate his life and we will find comfort somehow in knowing that he has found peace from the depression that has wreaked havoc on his mind.” The Toronto Star story said that Peloso’s relatives in his hometown, Sudbury, had no comment Sunday evening. When he went missing in September, his mother, Mary Ann, said, “The first thing I thought was he needed a break, he needed to get away for a bit . . . But as things went on longer and longer, we got concerned something had happened.” She also described Peloso as a “perfectionist,” “very patient” and “very loving. He has been a wonderful father with the kids.” His father Reno said Peloso and Smitherman’s marriage was a happy one, “with its high and low points, just like a typical marriage.” Star  The pictures shown of Mr. Peloso were provided by Mr. Smitherman and transmitted by Twitter. They show Mr. Peloso’s daughter by a previous marriage and two children adopted by he and Mr, Smitherman.   

Schumacher in brain surgery after ski fall

As midnight approaches in Toronto, it appears the head injury suffered by Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher while skiing in France may be more serious than first believed. Schumacher, 44, who retired from Formula 1 for the second time at the end of the 2012 season, was taken by helicopter to hospital in Moutiers before being moved to Grenoble. First reports called the injuries not too serious and said that Schumacher was conscious. He has now been taken to a larger hospital for emergency surgery. He was said to be in a coma. Schumacher was skiing with his 14-year-old son and others in an off-piste area between two marked runs above Meribel when he fell on Sunday morning. BBC

End in sight for 3,000 awaiting power

Toronto Hydro says around 3,000 customers remain without power after last weekend’s ice storm. These are cases of isolated line breaks, the so-called one-off among homes without power.  The cost of repairs and clean up after the storm is becoming clearer. Mayor Rob Ford said the cost to Toronto Hydro is approximately $1 million per day, with the final projected tally between $8-10 million. “These are rough numbers,” Ford said. The mayor is calling for a special city council meeting on Friday, Jan. 10 to ask the province for financial compensation. 

“Chump-fund my easy-money trip to Scotland”

They call it crowd-funding, a 21st-century phenomenon by which people gather money on the Internet for reasons good, goofy and just God-awful. Here’s one of the latter. As published tonight (Sunday, December 29, 12013) in the National Post Holly and Jon Granken of London, ON, want the world to finance their move to Scotland. Don’t ask why. They’re raising money this way just because they can. Of course the reaction to this shameless panhandling has been quite sharp. And no one is being forced to give money. Only a chump would do it. But what an interesting example of how crass begging has risen up and into “the cloud” from the dirty sidewalk outside subway stations. National Post 

Smitherman mate Chris Peloso found dead

“Wow moment” as meteor lights up Iowa sky

There was fun up high as a meteor flashed through the skies over Iowa and adjoining states Thursday night.

TD, CIBC to share Aeroplan on different cards

CIBC seems to have come out of the Aeroplan coup d’etat staged by TD Bank not too badly. Earlier this year it looked as if TD had taken the concept away from CIBC lock, stock and airline points. Now it appears an  arrangement to share the concept on their own cards has been worked out by the two banks with the owner of Aeroplan, Aimia Inc. This was a case the Big Guys deciding not to take on each other. You have to be a Little Guy to take on the Big Guys and there were no Little Guys in this deal. Canadian Press

“Killer ice chunks” falling downtown cops say

Yonge and Gerrard
Police say a 50-pound chunk of ice fell off a building in the vicinity of Yonge St and Granby Street north of Gerrard Street today. It apparently fell harmlessly but cops also say they have had a report of one person who received a serious head injury from falling ice. A 50 pound block of ice might measure a foot square and would certainly prove fatal if it struck a person on the head. Cristina Tengalia of CP24 said the closure of Yonge Street between Gerrard and College/Carlton is the result of ice falling from a crane atop a building on Yonge. As temperatures warmed up overnight, chunks of ice began to fall about 5.30 a.m. Some sheetss were said to be three-feet in length. Police say the street is now closed until at least 4 a.m. Sunday morning when conditions will be re-assessed. Meantime Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines reports that the falling ice complicated the work of repair crews during the day. Despite this, the lineman are making progress. At latest report Saturday evening the number of those without power was down to about 16,000 or five percent of metred customers. Falling ice was less perilous but annoying in the treed neighborhoods of South Bayview where ice began rattling down onto roofs overnight. Some locations had a fairly steady drumming all night.  

11 injured in Highway 401 roll-over near Brockville

Eleven people were shaken up in the crash of several cars and a highway bus on the 401 eastbound near Brockville. It appears that a car lost control in snowy conditions and knocked down a utility pole. The bus, belonging to Switftrans Service Ltd. of Toronto, was caught in the following pile up and overturned. Passengers were taken to an emergency centre in Brockville. There were 49 people on the bus at the time of the crash. Twitter

Photo of royal family revealed in Queen’s address

The Queen’s annual address this year has featured some interesting behind the scenes video and this historic picture of four generations of the royal family. The Queen spoke with apparent satisfaction about how the birth of a baby allows people to think about the future with renewed “happiness and hope”. The traditional message to the nation featured behind-the-scenes footage taken at Clarence House of the royal family posing for the christening pictures under the direction of celebrity portrait photographer Jason Bell. The Christmas address is written by the Queen and usually has a strong religious framework, reflects current issues and draws on her own experiences over the past year. The speech is one of the rare occasions when she does not turn to the Government for advice but is able to voice her own views. The Queen’s traditional message was produced this year by the BBC and recorded in Buckingham Palace’s blue drawing room.

18,000 unconnected at noon Saturday, Dec 28

Toronto Hydro is reporting that approximately 18,000 customers are now without power. And Hydro CEO Anthony Haines says they may all be re-connected by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Premier talks of providing food to “vulnerable”

Premier Wynne is talking about a plan to somehow provide free food to those who have had spoilage in their refrigerators because of the ice storm. It is a bit vague but Ms. Wynne spoke of  “people who are vulnerable” saying her government has “reached out to food suppliers to try to come up with a way of compensating people and getting some extra food — or food vouchers, something to folks, so that’s what we’re working out over the next couple of days.”  The CBC said the province is expected to announce in the next 24 to 48 hours how the food distribution system will be organized for those facing a lack of food due to spoilage. There will be quite a good response it would seem to the idea of free food. There is no word if the free food will be advanced on the honour system. That is, anyone asking will be given food without a question. Nor is it clear if food banks will figure in this scheme.