South Bayview Bulldog Admin

Wanted man is Moore-Bayview balcony climber

1220 Bayview,  Oct. 3, 2013 

Sources report that Simon William Gares, wanted for uttering threats to children, is the man who was on the outside edge of the sixth floor balcony at 1220 Bayview on October 3, 2013. He was threatening suicide and threatening to kill others. After nine hours, he was taken into custody. His medical condition is said to serious. According to CityNews, some midtown schools, including Maurice Cody Public School, have sent home information letters about Gares. The threats were apparently unspecified but as reported by the South Bayview Bulldog yesterday (Wednesday) an alert was issued as a precaution.  Simon William Gares, a 32-year-old man is wanted for threatening death and mischief. Police say Gares made threats to the safety of elementary school children and believe he is violent and dangerous. Some of the Toronto District School Board principals sent out a letter to let parents know about the incidents while urging them not to worry. “[Police] have recommended to us that we share this with you with the understanding that there is no need for concern,” Maurice Cody Principal Andrew Howard said in a letter. “Our staff is fully aware of this situation and will be extra vigilant letting people in through our security system, supervising at recess and during both pick-up and drop-off times.” Spokesman Ryan Bird told CityNews all TDSB schools keep their outer doors locked and require visitors to buzz in via an intercom, and sometimes a camera. He said some parents have called their children’s schools with questions, and he encouraged any others with concerns to do the same. Police say it’s not safe to approach Gares and anyone who sees him should call 911. Street photos Rudy.ca

Guess what? Bundling is about nation-building

Those who will take a hit if the government forces cable unbundling are complaining. Cable companies make money when there are more channels and if marginal channels like the aboriginal service are unbundled, very few will buy it for their own home. Revenues will fall and maybe the aboriginal channel will disappear. There are others like it. But we have never lived in a free market when it comes to radio and television, And maybe that’s how we like it, except the part where we have to pay.  Guelph Mercury

Lover of Halloween starts decoration contest

Karen Fraser in her garden 
A Mallory Crescent woman, Karen Fraser, has organized a contest which will award prizes to the winning homeowners of the best Halloween-decorated home. There is more than a touch of nostalgia in Ms Fraser’s undertaking. “I was born on October 30,” she confided as she stood in her front yard decorated with imitation tombstones. Of course, who doesn’t have fond recollections of Halloween at both a tender and well-seasoned age? Judges for the event will be Ms Fraser, Rob Tremblett (Valumart) the well-known Patrick Rocca, J.D. Singh of the Sleuth of Baker Street and Ms. Fraser’s daughter, Monange, five years. There is a website setting out the categories and some useful reminders for zealous Halloween competitors. Notably, decorations must be “PG13” and safe, the judges’ decision will of course be final and judging of the finalists will be based only on what is visible from the sidewalk.  It appears at present that the plans include only Leaside so a crossing of Bayview Ave. to judge the locally-famous work of the family at 384 Belsize Drive may not be on. Once again this home is setting up for an intellectually and visually entertaining display. Last year’s effort, Creepy Peter Pencil Eater was a stand out. There are good prizes offered by the contest. Mr  Rocca has donated two Leafs tickets, there is a certificate to dine at the Fox and Fiddle and somewhere in this cornucopia, a couple pies designed to raise the dead by Madeleines.ca, the well-known cake and pastry business. You may read the rules of the contest here and note the deadline for entries  is midnight Monday, October 28. 2013  Rules,entry details   Creepy Peter decoration 

Loblaws to lay off 275 among administrative staff

Loblaws will notify some 200 people at its Brampton headquarters today that they are being laid off.  The company is also looking to trim another 75 positions but it insists all the reductions will be administrative, not among those who run your grocery store. It is a chronic issue for companies that, over time, grow larger than necessary. In the coming months Loblaws will be seeking approval for the integration of the Shoppers Drug Mart chain into its empire

Free trade with Europe near say Harper, EU chief

Both Canada and the European Union are signalling tonight that agreement has been reached in principle on a free trade agreement between the two. Prime Minister Stephen Harper will travel to Brussels tomorrow to conclude the deal with the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso. Certain industry sources confirm to CBC News that Canada has agreed to raise cheese import quotas to 37,000 tonnes from 20,000, and to increase Europe’s share of that to 30,000 tonnes from 13,000. In return, it is expected Canada has received concessions on beef and pork. It was reported the two sides reached a deal on those issues last month. A trade source privy to the negotiations told CBC News that quotas would be phased in by sector over three, five or seven years, giving producers in Canada and in Europe time to adjust. The deal is worth an estimated $1 billion to the beef and pork industries, the trade source said. Reports say the draft agreement is now in the hands of provincial premiers for their reaction. More bedtime reading for Premier Kath.  Let’s hope the deal is cinched. We have got lots to sell them.  Bloomberg 

Quotes from gov’t speech and what others say

Below are quotes both from the Speech from the Throne and from critics about today’s announced agenda for the coming session of Parliament.  Here

Byfords’ Annual Halloween Glowstick Giveaway

Sue Byford of Bonnie Byford Real Estate (and co-publisher of the South Bayview Bulldog) reports that the company has launched its annual Free Glowstick campaign to help keep kids safe this Halloween. The handy glowing sticks signal motorists that the street is full of children going door to door. Really, every child should have one when the trick or treating begins. The Glowsticks are free but the number is limited so make your stop at the Byford storefront at 1536 Bayview Ave. just north of Millwood Rd. Be safe, be seen, it’s Halloween!

Woman cyclist injured on Spadina near Dundas

A woman cyclist has been seriously injured in a collision with large construction flatbed-trailer used to carry heavy equipment between sites. The woman, 25, and the truck were both heading north on Spadina, which has a designated bike lane. It may be that they became tangled because of the width of the trailer, which was carrying was appears to be backhoe. Police say the woman became trapped in the rear wheel well of the trailer and suffered injuries to her pelvis and leg. It appears she was very lucky to survive. The accident occurred about 7.30 a.m.  Video

Millionaire’s wild and crazy visit to Little Rock

Toronto millionaire Michael Wekerle is being sued by a hotel valet in Little Rock, Arkansas for injuries sustained during Mr. Wekerle’s astonishing behaviour when he stayed at the luxury hotel in 2010. He is said in a sworn statement before the court to have dropped his pants in the lobby and then removed his underpants in the bar, licked a woman’s foot, shouted profanities and tried to flip a doorman over his shoulder. And that, apparently, isn’t the half of it.  His lawyers says Wekerle will defend the case but in a communication with the Star he is said to have conceded there are things about that evening of which is not proud. Story.

Teens 16 and 13 lead police on U.S.-Canada chase

Teenage runaways, a boy 16, and a girl 13, from the Ottawa area have been captured in Maine after a two-day  on and off chase which saw the two steal several vehicles as well as crash a U.S. border crossing. They are in custody and okay after abandoning a truck and fleeing down a steep embankment. True love. Story

Brave Malala to receive honorary citizenship

Malala Yousafzai will join five other courageous and historic figures this fall when Canada confers honorary citizenship on the 16-year-old Pakistani girl. Wednesday’s throne speech will include that special detail. Malala will join the distinguished ranks of Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama, Aung San Suu Kyi and The Aga Khan.  “Our government will bestow honorary citizenship on Malala Yousafzai who courageously advocates for human rights and freedom against the backdrop of Taliban extremism and oppression,” a government source told the CBC. The appointment will surely be well received by proud Canadians who remember the cruel gun attack on Malala as she made her way home from school.  The announcement of such decisions indicates that the matter is fully settled and Malala and her family have agreed to accept the honour.  

UN offers no solutions to aboriginal poverty

The linked report from Reuters tells of a scolding from a UN “rapproteur” (story teller) about the sub-standard lives of many of Canada’s aboriginals. The issues of crime, poverty, broken families and the frequent mistreatment of woman have been the burden both of the First Nationa and successive Canadian governments of many different political stripes. Countless Canadians, men like former prime minister Paul Martin,  have made it a labour of their lives to try to raise up the aboriginal population as a whole. It would appear that the very most that can be said about the UN story teller’s report is that he sees what every Canadian sees. Unlike Canadians however, he has never had to try to actually change life on the reservations. His report apparently had not a single useful suggestion, if Reuters is to be believed.  No doubt many in Ottawa would be glad to see volunteers from Switzerland and Sweden offer to help out on the ground. No such luck.  Reuters