South Bayview Bulldog Admin

Haywire Wal-Mart website gives crazy low prices

Wal-Mart sold kayaks for about $11 and computer monitors for about $9 on its website Wednesday. It appears the online sales site had a fit of technical  price-cutting that was totally unauthorized. The online store has now been shut down. Wal-Mart says that an error caused a number of products to be priced absurdly low or high. “We’re working quickly to correct” it, said Ravi Jariwala, a Wal-Mart spokesman, adding that there would be “intermittent site unavailability” until then. Jariwala said the company hasn’t decided whether it will honor prices for items already ordered. 

Qatar Holding fund invests in BlackBerry debt

Second shoe drops on the failed buy-out by Fairfax Financial as middle east money moves in. 4-traders

Josh Matlow says Mayor Ford must resign

Josh Matlow (Ward 22) has called for Mayor Ford to resign. Mr. Matlow’s news relesase to this effect may been seen here

Rogers lays off 94 employees at TV, magazines

Rogers Communications has laid off 94 employees across its media division as it reworks operations to react to lower advertising revenues. The cuts are spread across the country at the broadcast TV divisions of Citytv and OMNI, as well as radio stations and magazines like Maclean’s and Chatelaine. Maclean’s 

Torstar Corp reports loss of $70 million in Q-3

Torstar Corp. reports a third-quarter loss at September 30, 2013 of $70.8-million. That is a decline in revenue of 7.7% — down to $328 million from last year’s $355 million.  The losses occurred in both the media division and the publishing division, Harlequin. The romance novel arm of Torstar was a a gold mine for the firm for decades. The digital reader revolution has had a killing effect on Harlequin sales, as it has had with other publishers. The newspaper business continues to suffer from diminishing advertising sales. The Toronto Star’s publisher, John Cruickshank said it is too soon to gauge the success of the online paywall recently placed on the Star’s website. He said the revenues gained from this move were about what had been expected but he did not speak on how the decision had impacted the number of so-called unique visitors to the site, the measure used to establish online advertising rates. 

Twin snow leopard cubs debut precedes the snow

No snow yet but something much better. Twin snow leopard cubs, a boy and a girl, are now on display at New York’s Central Park Zoo. They were born this summer and are making their first full-time public appearance this week. Officials say they’re the first snow leopards to be born at the zoo. The twin cubs weigh 30 pounds and were born to mother Zoe and father Askai. The cubs will eventually weigh between 65 and 120 pounds. The cubs have not yet been named.

Murray Newbigging property worth $5,500,000

A well-known family business of more than 60 years in our area has had the value of its property established in a recent sale. The Murray E. Newbigging Funeral Home at 733 Mt. Pleasant Rd. traded hands in a transaction that closed at the beginning of the year for $5,500,000. The business continues at this address. 

Nov.11 ceremony set for Mt Pleasant Cemetery

Next Monday  November 11, 2013, there will be a Remembrance Day Ceremony at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, 375 Mount Pleasant Road. It is being conducted by the the Royal Canadian Air Force and will begin at 10 a.m. For information you may contact Master Warrant Officer Normand Marion at Normand.Marion@forces.gc.ca .

Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau suspended, expelled

The Senate has voted to suspend Patrick Brazeau, Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin without pay and without perks for a period of two years. The three are accused of  claiming improper living and travel expenses. They will retain their health, dental and life insurance benefits. But the disgraced senators must leave the government premises and not return for the specified period. The vote was 50-29 in the Conservative dominated Red Chamber. In the Commons, Prime Minister Harper endured another question period grilling today, this time about a letter that shows the RCMP is seeking documents that “may potentially be evidence of criminal wrongdoing” by some in the Prime Minister’s Office. In particular, investigators are looking for emails related to a “script” Duffy said he was given by the PMO to cover up the fact that Nigel Wright, Harper’s chief of staff at the time, gave him $90,000 to repay his disallowed expenses. For the time being however, the suspensions would appear to end the soap opera of “sue process” and accusations that have embroiled the Senate all summer. 

Mayor says: “Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine”

Mayor Ford made a brief appearance at City Hall over the noon hour in which he made the remarkable admission that he has smoked crack cocaine. It was a disturbing little exchange in which the mayor lectured reporters to “ask the question the right way.” The admission was couched by the mayor once again in the manner of his Sunday apology. “I’ve made mistakes. All I can do is apologize and move on.”  The tone of the admission was defensive and loaded with reproach for the reporters for, apparently, taking as much interest in this matter and because they “didn’t ask the question in the right way.” Mr. Ford said he was not an addict and that the occasion of his crack cocaine use may have occurred in the context of his being “in a drunken stupor” about a year ago. It was not clear whether the mayor was admitting to smoking crack cocaine once or more than once. 

Mid-morning mugging at Roehampton-Rawlinson

Toronto Police Service report: A 13 year old male reports that on October 31, 2013 at approximately 1150 hours, he was in the area of Roehampton Avenue and Rawlinson Avenue when a male suspect approached him from behind. The suspect struck the victim about the shoulder causing him to fall to the ground. The suspect removed the victim’s cellular telephone and fled the scene eastbound on Roehampton Avenue and then northbound on Rawlinson Avenue. No injuries were sustained by the victim. Police are requesting the assistance of the public in identifying the following described person in connection with this offence. Suspect #1: Male, white, 30 to 35 years, 6’3”, 200 pounds.

Costco consultation meeting Thursday, Nov. 7

There will be a community consultation meeting Thursday, November 7, 2013, to discuss the proposed Costco store at the site of the vacant Coca-Cola buildings on Overlea Blvd. The meeting will be held at the Macedonian Orthodox Cathedral at 76 Overlea.