Matlow ticks off council over food truck freedom
by •
City Council stopped short of making customers report to their local councillor within 15 days as to just what they had for lunch. Seriously, there were 20 separate motions over two days including an attempt to keep the trucks a measurable distance from the curb. What did pass? So far as one can sift through the materials we see a requirement for a limit of two trucks per block and a buffer zone of no less than 50 metres between a truck and a restaurant. Business Improvement Areas will have a lot of say in where trucks may sit. Josh Matlow (Ward 22) says in his newsletter that many concerns were not based on evidence. “While there certainly will be more mobile vendors on the streets in new locations this summer, I believe Council could have gone even further to free the food trucks,” Matlow said. He is more likely to hear about the trucks from his constituents than Karen Stintz, John Parker or Jaye Robinson, for example. The decisive vote was 34 to 3 to adopt the expanded rules. Eight members were absent for the 6.10 p.m. division Thursday night. Only Denzil Minnan-Wong, David Shiner, Adam Vaughan voted “No” and it isn’t clear what these gentlemen of varying political sympathies were concerned about. The subject will be reviewed next year Council decided. South Bayview Ave, needs some clean up TLC
by •
Canada sees job growth of 43,000 in March
by •
Parker guest will be Chief Planner Keesmaat
by •
Cookware, kitchen store at Yonge and Manor
by •
4000-volt giants carry hydro flow west of Bayiew
by •
![]() |
| Belsize and Boyton |
Residents between Bayview Ave and Mt. Pleasant Rd. are witnessing the installation of soaring new hydro standards as the utility prepares to remove the 50-year-old concrete poles. Those cracked and teetering cement standards have carried the neighborhood’s 4,000-volt lifeline for a long time. The solid looking fir poles should be good for quite a few decades as well. Workers were doing their work carefully Thursday as they attached the lethal flow of hydro to the timber at the corner of Belsize Drive and Boyton Rd. Homeowners will be glad for the renewed service. It will come with a number of new transformers. They should make service a little more reliable. For many, the work will remind them of the early hours of December 22, 2013 when rain and ice began to quietly turn the city dark. Utility poles and tree branches collapsed under the enormous weight of the thick ice accumulation. At the height of the storm there were over 300,000 Toronto Hydro customers that were left without power or heat. Many of them were right there in South Bayview where the tree are. The City of Toronto simultaneously opened and operated 13 community reception centres and 13 Toronto police facility community warming centres, providing temporary sleeping accommodations,food, water, hygiene kits and other resources. The warming centres were running around the clock, offering those who lost their power a warm place to sleep and eat until their power was restored. By Christmas Eve, four days after the storm, there were still 69,800 customers without power across the city.


