South Bayview Bulldog Admin

Land value drives intensification on Bayview

It’s about the mushrooming value of the land on which homeowners sit along Bayview Ave. This week many in Ward 25 are complaining about another proposed townhouse development on the street. This one is between York Mills Rd.  and Old Colony  Rd. The pressure is the same type of economic stress that occurs when developers want to knock down townhouses built in the 70s to build high-rise apartments or condos. It’s happening on streets like Belsize Drive in Ward 22. The Councillor in Ward 25, Jaye Robinson, is said to have created a “design guideline” for the neighbourhood. But unless zoning is changed, and can be enforced, it seems like a losing battle. 

Trying to guess what drove courthouse shooter

Toronto Sun 

Jets emerge as 2014 election issue #TOpoli

In what seems as much like a tense stand off as anything else, the forces of Porter Airlines and NoJets Toronto are both spinning today’s City Council decision as a victory.  In  an odd outcome, Council voted 44-0 for a staff report that contains many conditions for jets to go wheels down at Billy Bishop Airport. Noise, pollution, traffic and other elements must be probed and the results found acceptable before the City would proceed. The timing of this action by Council is said to make it certain that no further debate or vote will occur until after a new mayor and council are elected.  NoJets TO made it clear on its website tonight that it will make the Porter application an election issue. Tonight’s outcome would seem to offer even greater definition between mayoral candidate Olivia Chow and the other candidates. She is the only one who has expressed clear opposition to jets on the island.  Deputy Mayor Kelly, an open advocate of the Porter plan, said the “modernization” of the airport is still alive and that he too considers the vote today a victory.   NoJets TO

A lottery win to touch the heart of all Canada

Liam and Tina Ferrone

An Ottawa area woman, Tina Ferrone, has won the $48 million Lotto Max prize. It is a lottery outcome which will touch the heart of the country.  Ms Ferrone’s husband was stricken with cancer in January of 2012 and is out of work. It has been “a long hard road” since then, says Liam Ferrone. He has undergone chemotherapy and stem cell treatment during the succeeding two years. Liam is now said to be in remission. Even with a catastrophic disease like cancer, a $48 million dollar windfall will change the lives of the Kanata, Ontario couple in a way they could never imagine. Liam will repay debt incurred because of his illness. Tina says she wants to start a yoga studio. It’s a lifelong passion. Then they will travel and Liam will buy a truck. Tina bought the  ticket “on a whim” last Friday while picking up groceries. She had never played Lotto Max before, and when she checked her ticket Saturday at a Shopper’s Drug Mart she was shocked. “I thought it was $48,000 at first, I couldn’t process what was happening,” she said while picking up her prize in Toronto today (Tuesday, April 1, 2014).  

Liberals talk up LCBO kiosks in big grocers

We don’t know how many or where or who will get them but the Ontario Government is saying it is moving ahead with a scheme to put LCBO kiosks in some big grocery stores. How it works out for those who don’t get a kiosk is open to question. Maybe they will lose business. Hmmm. Charter of Rights appeal anyone? CBC

Shrinking Indigo as flagship Chapters closes

Indigo has announced that it is closing its flagship  Chapters store at Richmond and John Sts. The announcement comes a day after the closing of the company’s World’s Biggest Bookstore. The Chapters will lock the doors on May 30, 2014. It is an all too understandable move as the digital era continues to pummel books and music retailers around the globe. The location is the home of a Cineplex complex bearing the name of Scotiabank. 

Boy, 13, mugged, tablet stolen in Thorncliffe

A 13 year old boy reports that on March 28, 2014 at approximately 7.30 p.m. he was in the area of Thorncliffe Park Drive and Overlea Boulevard when he was approached by three youths. They surrounded the victim and demanded for his tablet. The victim complied. The suspects then fled the scene in an unknown direction. No injuries were sustained by the victim.

Semi at 369 Belsize Drive sold for $807,000

After just seven days on the market, a single bathroom, three bedroom semi at 369 Belsize Dr. has sold for $807,000. The asking price was $769,000 with a previous selling price of $514,000 in 2010. It is about 900 sq. ft. in size on a  24 by 125-ft. lot. It has no garage on a mutual drive with one parking space.

Billion dollar “BLT” a Queen’s Park stomach ache

The Progressive Conservatives at Queen’s Park say they have obtained a confidential 11-page document that describes how the Liberals are going to dazzle the public over the coming month with billions of dollars in proposed spending. According to the PCs, those involved in the budget rollout tease are known as the BLT — Budget Leaking Team. In the Legislature, the Premier deflected questions from PC leader Hudak about this information.  Toronto Star

No marijuana for casual users says clinic doctor

Dr. Danial Schecter of the soon-to-be-open-for business Cannabinoid Medical Clinic at Yonge and Eglinton is sounding pretty tough on just who will get access to his services. The clinic is set to open Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at a local address as yet unpublished. In an article posted in Leaf Science magazine Dr. Schecter says his clinic won’t be handing out prescriptions to just anyone. “We won’t be seeing the 18- or 25-year-old who walks in and says, ‘Hey Doc, I’ve got a really bad back, and I think cannabis helps me. Can I have a prescription?’” says Dr. Schecter. “I’m not seeing those guys. I’m seeing the patients who have a true medical diagnosis.” Smart. 

Dr. Daniel Schecter

Earlier post:  A medical cannabis clinic will be opened at Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. in  May. It will be known as the Cannabinoid Medical Clinic. The owner and  operator will be Dr. Danial Schecter, a Georgian Bay area family physician whose online record of experience lists a residency at Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Schecter is the owner of the Georgian Bay House Calls practice and is shown as a hospitalist at Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie. The medical marijuana clinic is thought of by some physicians as “medicine by the court system.” Dr. Louis Hugo Francescutti, president of the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), told the Toronto Star’s Isabel Teotonio that few doctors are comfortable prescribing cannabis because the medicinal benefits aren’t proven. He said the courts decided on marijuana’s therapeutic role but it hasn’t gone through the same rigorous testing that’s customary with other medications. The CMA chief said that while the opening of pot clinics was bound to happen,  he believes there will be consequences.  Dr Francescutti told reporter Teotonio: “There’s going to be more than one physician who’s going to get disciplined over this.”   For his part, Dr. Schecter is expecting a successful practice. Under new medical marijuana regulations, which take full effect April 1, medical marijuana patients must be prescribed cannabis by a doctor or nurse practitioner, and buy their maryjane from a licensed commercial grower. 

The refined and just-fine rubbish of Moore Ave.

We are not saying Moore Ave is rubbish. Not any part of it, especially not the elegant approach to Bennington Heights and Moore Park. Moore Ave. is fine and so is its garbage now that workmen have installed some of those flossy Astral litter bins beside the TTC stops. Here we see two stalwart guys hefting the bin into place at the Orchard Green stop. Let’s hope the funny foot-pedal doesn’t snap off next winter. Along the bottom of the image some examples we noticed at this location of things which from now on will, we trust, go into the bin. The sophisticated taste of Bennington Heights commuters ranges from the nutritional drink known as Ensure, a can of Dole “cocktail de jus”, a green-glass bottle of super refined Peroni Nastro Azzurra (we think that’s water) and the always fine-by-us Tim Horton’s coffee. Where they bought the Timmy’s to leave it here is a good question.  Astral by the way is now owned by Bell Media. 

Wynne no-show as laptop scandal boils #ONpoli

Voters will soon have a chance to act on how they feel about the gas plant scandal, it seems  Monday’s explosive morning at the Legislature has probably taken events beyond recall. The Premier was not present to answer questions about the “hard-drive erasures” scandal by which a Liberal aide’s boyfriend was paid $154,000 to eliminate all digital evidence related to the gas plant cancellation. It took him barely two months There is a whiff of a suggestion that the man, Peter Faist, was actually on contract to the government until very recent days.  The NDP marched out of the chamber to protest Ms. Wynne’s absence. PC leader Hudak insisted that the Premier was either complicit or willfully negligent in the lap top cleansings. This is so, he insisted, because she was “de facto premier” when the plan was hatched and that the computer work actually went ahead after her swearing in. Health Minister Deb Matthews conducted a spirited defense of the premier’s absence saying she had many events to attend. Reporter did not seem to buy that.  She said the Conservatives were guilty of “dirty politics”. Names named.